Community Forums

Pre-Diabetes Discussion

The Definition of Pre-Diabetes

Started 8/22/2012 by MikeBoyle

• MikeBoyle MikeBoyle ORIGINAL POSTER
    The definition of pre-diabetes is: a condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but are not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. People with pre-diabetes are at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes and for heart disease and stroke. Other names for pre-diabetes are impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose.
    What questions do you have about pre-diabetes?
    Can you offer any advice on how you stopped yourself from crossing the line from pre-diabetes into full-blown type 2 diabetes?
  • ehsan ehsan
    Maybe eat much less carbs?
  • ketaran ketaran
    Eat limited amounts of low quality carb items. READ labels. The ingredients are important, so don't limit the examination to the nutrition panel. If the food had to be enriched to be nutritious it is poor quality.
    Don't let anyone deceive you into thinking a poor quality item is a nutritious food. Manufacturers know how to manipulate ingredients to fool your taste buds. They also know how to make something look healthy that isn't with advertizing.
    Quality fats don't need to be avoided. Some of these are olive oil, some nut oils, avocadoes and nuts. Look for oils that have lots of monounsaturated fats. These make foods taste better and don't raise cholesterol.
  • lorrie4chat lorrie4chat
    Hi there, I am a researching pre-diabetes as I am a very healthy 154cm, 54kg 42 year old woman who has been struggling with tiredness, sugar cravings, thirst but then have days where I am bounding in energy and feeling great. I went to a naturopath and he suggested a pre-diabetes diet. No sugar, no wheat, no dairy. I did this and starting feeling great- i was also supplemented with multi-vitamin herbal mixtures and chromium. Now some of the old symptoms returned so I thought I would see a traditional dr to get my blood sugar level. It was 7.2 during a very lethargic day. So he tells me not diabetes.
    Help who do I believe- a normal blood sugar reading - or the fact that I felt better when doing a pre-diabetic diet. Lorrie
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    Hi there, I am a researching pre-diabetes as I am a very healthy 154cm, 54kg 42 year old woman who has been struggling with tiredness, sugar cravings, thirst but then have days where I am bounding in energy and feeling great. I went to a naturopath and he suggested a pre-diabetes diet. No sugar, no wheat, no dairy. I did this and starting feeling great- i was also supplemented with multi-vitamin herbal mixtures and chromium. Now some of the old symptoms returned so I thought I would see a traditional dr to get my blood sugar level. It was 7.2 during a very lethargic day. So he tells me not diabetes.
    Help who do I believe- a normal blood sugar reading - or the fact that I felt better when doing a pre-diabetic diet. Lorrie
    Was the blood glucose test done fasting? If fasting, it was too high and pre-diabetes. If after a meal, it was OK. You probably felt better on the diet because it was an improvement from your normal eating pattern. If you are overweight, lose some with a calorie controlled carb controlled diet and exercise. This advice we would give to anyone with diabetes, which is also good for non-diabetics.
  • bruudy bruudy
    Don't let anyone deceive you into thinking a poor quality item is a nutritious food. Manufacturers know how to manipulate ingredients to fool your taste buds.
  • therainsinafrica therainsinafrica
    I am 39 years old, 6'2" 195 lbs, with history of diabetes in my family. My recent #s were 108 bs and 5.4 A1C. I have been experiencing pins and needles throughout my body but mostly in hands and feet. My calves have also been twitching. I exercise 6 to 7X a week, usually rigorous cycling or running. No other symptoms to speak of. Are my symptoms of someone prediabetic or more likely some metabolic imbalance like magnesium shortage?
  • ketaran ketaran
    This message board isn't very active. I suggest you try the ADA message boards. There are a lot of patient experts. Of course, they aren't docs. They can give generally known info, but they can't tell you whether or not you have prediabetes or some other problem.
  • claras claras
    This is a reply to
    I am 39 years old, 6'2" 195 lbs, with history of diabetes in my family. My recent #s were 108 bs and 5.4 A1C. I have been experiencing pins and needles throughout my body but mostly in hands and feet. My calves have also been twitching. I exercise 6 to 7X a week, usually rigorous cycling or running. No other symptoms to speak of. Are my symptoms of someone prediabetic or more likely some metabolic imbalance like magnesium shortage?
    Hello,
    Go to my blog: 7 Important numbers people with diabetes need to know found at: http://www.diabetescare.net/Blog/Clara_Schneider/F703F1CC-F9CC-456A-B3DE-CE444D9B4D03.
    Was your blood glucose of 108 mg/dl fasting or random? You can see that a 5.4 A1C is normal. I would suggest that you talk to your physician about the symptoms you are feeling in your hands and feet. This needs to be followed up on and properly diagnosed. Please tell us how you make out.
    Clara Schneider MS,RD,RN,CDE,LDN