Community Forums

Exercise Room

exercise/walking

Started 3/10/2013 by scsharma

• scsharma scsharma ORIGINAL POSTER
    I am 76 years young man having type 2 for last 23 years, walk daily for about 45 minutes to 1 hour in the morning and do exercise for 15 minutes. Also i walk for half an hour in the evening. My weight is constant at 83 kg for last 4 years.I am obese. because I have no activities after retirement from army.and watch tv and sleep or sit on computer I am on medicine. but my sugar remains at 174 on fasting and pp 180. there is no complication yet.I want to know why my sugar level remains high. I take normal vegetarian diet ( bed tea with one or two sugar free biscuits, B/F ,lunch evening tea and dinner.and one cup milk before sleep. .
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    I am 76 years young man having type 2 for last 23 years, walk daily for about 45 minutes to 1 hour in the morning and do exercise for 15 minutes. Also i walk for half an hour in the evening. My weight is constant at 83 kg for last 4 years.I am obese. because I have no activities after retirement from army.and watch tv and sleep or sit on computer I am on medicine. but my sugar remains at 174 on fasting and pp 180. there is no complication yet.I want to know why my sugar level remains high. I take normal vegetarian diet ( bed tea with one or two sugar free biscuits, B/F ,lunch evening tea and dinner.and one cup milk before sleep. .
    Remember that diabetes is a slow progressive disease, and what you did to manage your blood glucose years ago may not be enough now. Beta production of insulin decreases, insulin resistance increases, and the liver doesn't shut of glucose production during the night. So, you my need different medicine to adapt to your changing metabolic situation. You mentioned you were vegetarian, so it is important you get 20% of your calories from protein. You may be eating a diet high in carbohydrates, and not enough protein to preserve and build muscles. More protein, less carbs, more muscle, more calorie burning, weight loss, lower blood glucose.
  • lindsy4775 lindsy4775
    Hello! I'm so happy I found forum that can be supportive.