Community Forums

Type 2 Community

Overweight and Type 2 Diabetes Risk

Started 2/22/2012 by ket123

• ket123 ket123 ORIGINAL POSTER
    My little cousin is very fat. Many times we have seen that overweight is the main cause of type 2 diabetes. Is he also at Risk of type 2 diabetes?
  • micheal78 micheal78
    Yes,May be please avoid eating sugar and excessive eating of your cousin.
    Hii micheal78,
    Thanks for your advice. I will definitely take care of her and give her only the sugar free foods. I know he is small but I think diet will help him to lower the risk of diabetes. Precautions is always better than cure.
  • gpaul7 gpaul7
    If you ask me, sugar free foods are not all that has to be emphasized in a healthy diet for youngsters.
    They need to consume non-starchy vegetables as a large portion of their daily intake. They need to exercise 1 hr. per day minimum and cut down on screen-time.
    Drinks should have zero calories except for milk.
    eliminate fruit juices. Whole fruit is acceptable.
    Diet soda should also be avoided as it is postulated to keep a child searching for sweetness in food/drinks.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    Yes, a healthy balanced diet with real food and minimal processed or sugared foods is a good basis for feeding a child.
    Hey gpaul7,
    I will definitely appreciate for your suggestion. I think non-starchy vegetables should include in diet. He is doing an exercise half hours daily. Is this not enough? I know the diet and exercise are only the main roots to make the body healthy and help to control blood sugar level.
  • gpaul7 gpaul7
    children need one hour per day exercise, minimum, or so the USA govt. guidelines say.
    But, on the flip side, weight control/loss is 80% dietary and 20% exercise controlled, (my opinion).
    So, emphasize diet , not extra exercise , in that child's life, is my suggestion
  • michal123 michal123
    Obesity is the very big risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Try to eat a balanced diet to avoid obesity problem.
    ---------------------------------------
    Beyond Diet Scammichal1232012-06-26 06:27:59
  • valentine valentine
    m 62. mY FASTING SUGAR RANGES BETWEEN 104 AND 114. NO. SUGAR IN URINE. PP2 AROUND 97. M DIAGNOSED AS PRE-DIABETIC. M 5.4" N WEIGH 67-68. HOW TO AVOID TYPE2? I TAKE LESS SUGAR AND MOST OF THE TIME AVOID SWEETS, RICE AT NIGHT, GHEE N OILY FOOD. I EAT CHICKEN OCCASIONALLY.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    Lose about 10-15 lbs and increase your exercise level. Keep your rice intake reduced to 1/2-1 cup a day.
  • valentine valentine
    [QUOTE=SharonRD] Lose about 10-15 lbs and increase your exercise level. Keep your rice intake reduced to 1/2-1 cup a day. [/QUOTE] I take rice once or twice a week - 34/ morsels. My weight wrongly quoted as 67-68 i weigh 57-58-ideal weight, i suppose. My cholesterol was high at 260 and started statin for two months. Chol. came down to 150. I have stopped statin to give a try w/t it. My total chol. remained in that range for more than 10 years. I walk 30 minutes a day (at least 4 days/week)and do yoga/stretching exercises. Generally I avoid greasy food. Please advise based on my lifestyle and food habits.
  • MikeBoyle MikeBoyle
    This reply comes from DiabetesCare.net's registered dietitian/certified diabetes educator Sharon Howard:
    To keep cholesterol low, include soluble fiber as legumes and oats and fruits and vegetables. Use more avocado, nuts and olive oil and less animal fats. Limit your portions of starches so you continue to be at ideal weight and don't over work your pancreas. Also, do not skip meals! Keep up the good work!"
  • kazim kazim
    I am 63 and using insulin Lantus & Actrapid for my T2 diabetes. Abount 2 months ago I have got severe knee pain and not able to walk much due to which my weight is increasing very fast. Kindly advise me some solution.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    Weight loss through increased physical activity and reduced calorie intake by limiting sweets, sweet drinks, high calorie snack foods, candy and desserts will reduce his risk. If he has any relatives with Type 2 diabetes, it is good to be concerned.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    I am 63 and using insulin Lantus & Actrapid for my T2 diabetes. Abount 2 months ago I have got severe knee pain and not able to walk much due to which my weight is increasing very fast. Kindly advise me some solution.
    You need to find a way to take 500 calories a day out of your diet. Less cheese on a sandwich, fat free milk, no sweets, less fat in cooking and flavoring can go a long way to reduce calorie intake. Try to reduce your portions by 1/3. With exercise, might you be able to swim, or do exercise while sitting? See our exercise videos.
  • Lise Lise
    emoticonCurious as to my request for a meter. Is it necessary?? I am older (was born in 1953) and just had a recent incident..to a nerve in my back. Can't walk as much anymore....I do physiotherapy and massage. I do love my food...and have to watch my intake as per my doctor's order. What are you thoughts on me getting a meter!
    Thank you
  • claras claras
    This is a reply to
    emoticonCurious as to my request for a meter. Is it necessary?? I am older (was born in 1953) and just had a recent incident..to a nerve in my back. Can't walk as much anymore....I do physiotherapy and massage. I do love my food...and have to watch my intake as per my doctor's order. What are you thoughts on me getting a meter!
    Thank you
    Hello,
    I see that you are only 60 years old. If you do not check your blood glucose levels with a meter, how will you know what your blood glucose levels are? If you are not walking as much, are your levels increasing? Please call your insurance and see if they will send you a meter or do they have a preferred meter for you to buy that they will pay for. Ask about covering strips as well. You should also consider talking to a dietitian to put together a meal plan for you. Ask your physical therapist what exercises you can do after meals. Again, if you don't test you will not have the numbers to make decisions with your health care team about your diabetes. Please tell us how you make out.
    Clara Schneider MS,RD,RN,CDE,LDN