Community Forums

General Diabetes Discussion

Morning fasting levels too high!

Started 11/21/2012 by vampia88

• vampia88 vampia88 ORIGINAL POSTER
    Goodmorning!
    Type 2 here, I am finding it very very hard to get my morning/before breakfast levels down to where they should be. I am on metformin, gliclizide and now protphane at bedtime.
    any tips?
    i can get it down during the day and before dinner and after dinner i get good results!
    tia
  • chrisk chrisk
    This is a reply to
    Goodmorning!
    Type 2 here, I am finding it very very hard to get my morning/before breakfast levels down to where they should be. I am on metformin, gliclizide and now protphane at bedtime.
    any tips?
    i can get it down during the day and before dinner and after dinner i get good results!
    tia
    Hi there from the UK - my first post. I have exactly the same issue (also T2). Does not seem to make any difference what I do or eat in the evening my blood sugars are way too high in the morning. Doctor recently doubled my gliclazide and also on metphormin - nothing makes a difference. Like you I can get my sugars down in the day (usually by late morning) and fine around dinner time. Going to sleep seems to kick off some kind of "glucose dump" into my sytem and I immediately need to urinate profusely and get really thirsty (drink a pint of water most nights).
    Hope you manage to reverse this trend - with me has been getting steadily worse for the last 5 years (diagnosed 10 years ago).
  • amancia amancia
    Hey My name is Marcia and I have just been diagnosed with Type1 diabetis, I find this challenging since I am not sure as to what i should and shouldn't eat. I was diagnosed on Wednesday and my level was 294 by Thursday it had risen to 379 so I was given a 6-hour insulin shot and placed on metformin. last night i went down to 222 but this morning I was back at 368 and all i had for breakfast was an orange and cucumber salad.
    Need help in terms of what to eat.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    Goodmorning!
    any tips?
    tia
    What happens during the night is the release of glucose by your liver, making your blood glucose higher in the morning. The metformin medicine work to reduce this. You may need a form of long acting oral medication or even long acting insulin to get these number down. As to diet, some people have used resistance starch at night as a snack ( 1-2 teaspoons of raw cornstarch in some applesauce, or Extend Bars) to keep digestion going to mechanically turn off the liver. Also, you could try a high protein high fat snack--cheese, peanut butter, to delay stomach emptying.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    Hey My name is Marcia and I have just been diagnosed with Type1 diabetis, I find this challenging since I am not sure as to what i should and shouldn't eat. I was diagnosed on Wednesday and my level was 294 by Thursday it had risen to 379 so I was given a 6-hour insulin shot and placed on metformin. last night i went down to 222 but this morning I was back at 368 and all i had for breakfast was an orange and cucumber salad.
    Need help in terms of what to eat.
    It is unclear if you are in the hospital! Your doctor or a nurse needs to give you instructions on testing your blood glucose and then the appropriate insulin dose. Your diet should be controlled in carbohydrate--try to have to same amount of carbs at each meal. Eat 3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks. At first, you might aim for 45 grams of carbohydrate at each meal and snacks of 15 grams. Please review our videos and materials on carbohydrate counting. This general advice is not a substitute for clear instructions from your personal healthcare provider.
  • chrisk chrisk
    This is a reply to
    What happens during the night is the release of glucose by your liver, making your blood glucose higher in the morning. The metformin medicine work to reduce this. You may need a form of long acting oral medication or even long acting insulin to get these number down. As to diet, some people have used resistance starch at night as a snack ( 1-2 teaspoons of raw cornstarch in some applesauce, or Extend Bars) to keep digestion going to mechanically turn off the liver. Also, you could try a high protein high fat snack--cheese, peanut butter, to delay stomach emptying.
    That reminds me - a glass of red wine also works for me. I don't want to advocate drinking alcohol as a treatment but it's a fact that a large red wine seems to reduce my sugars in the night and next morning. I guess it gives the liver something to do other than release glucose?