Community Forums

Type 1 Community

Type 1 Diabetes Causes

Started 1/16/2013 by michaelhamm

• michaelhamm michaelhamm ORIGINAL POSTER
    Type 1 Diabetes – Diabetes Activism Whether you are interested in participating in a fun run or walk, or prefer to give back to your community through alternative charity events, consider participating in a Diabetes activism event this spring. With opportunities located around the country, there is no doubt that you can find just the event that you're looking for. Here are some ideas at typefreediabetes for popular ways that you may wish to help with Diabetes research and care:
  • Richard157 Richard157
    This is a reply to
    Type 1 Diabetes – Diabetes Activism Whether you are interested in participating in a fun run or walk, or prefer to give back to your community through alternative charity events, consider participating in a Diabetes activism event this spring. With opportunities located around the country, there is no doubt that you can find just the event that you're looking for. Here are some ideas at typefreediabetes for popular ways that you may wish to help with Diabetes research and care:
    I am 73 years of age, and am having to give up some of my activities of the past. I used to do
    major home repairs, climbing ladders and painting, and many other chores that are too
    strenuous for me now. In Dec, 2010, I joined the local gym. There are dozens of wonderful
    machines there for strengthening various muscle groups. My trainer helps me choose
    appropriate machines, and keeps me from progressing too far and too fast. It has been a
    wonderful experience! I see people with crutches, and handicaps working out there. With a
    trainer, I think almost all people could benefit greatly from using a gym. I watch my blood
    sugar very closely, testing before, during and after each visit to the gym. I have my glucose
    tablets with me at all times. My strength and stamina have greatly increased, and I expect to
    continue working out at the gym for many years to come.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    I am 73 years of age, and am having to give up some of my activities of the past. I used to do
    major home repairs, climbing ladders and painting, and many other chores that are too
    strenuous for me now. In Dec, 2010, I joined the local gym. There are dozens of wonderful
    machines there for strengthening various muscle groups. My trainer helps me choose
    appropriate machines, and keeps me from progressing too far and too fast. It has been a
    wonderful experience! I see people with crutches, and handicaps working out there. With a
    trainer, I think almost all people could benefit greatly from using a gym. I watch my blood
    sugar very closely, testing before, during and after each visit to the gym. I have my glucose
    tablets with me at all times. My strength and stamina have greatly increased, and I expect to
    continue working out at the gym for many years to come.
    Love to hear about the benefits of exercise--this may inspire others who prefer to sit on the couch! Exercise is like taking a diabetes pill--it lowers your blood glucose and risk of further problems. Thanks for sharing!