Community Forums

Food Forum

Raw food diet?

Started 6/5/2013 by Klochak

• Klochak Klochak ORIGINAL POSTER
    Has anyone tried or is anyone following the raw food diet or the fruititarian diet? I keep hearing the people who are on it( who are not diabetic) say it's safe for diabetics. I'm not sure how I feel about this as I know with myself (i'm type 1 on insulin) if I eat too many fruits my blood sugar goes high and if I eat mostly veggies is goes too low. And juicing forget it my blood sugar goes up and besides i'd rather eat my food than drink it. It seems with a lot of the raw recipes they sweeten things with agave, honey etc all things that raise blood sugar. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this diet for diabetic being one yourself on the diet or from a cde/dietitian.
  • CharlotteSMehmke CharlotteSMehmke
    This is a reply to
    Has anyone tried or is anyone following the raw food diet or the fruititarian diet? I keep hearing the people who are on it( who are not diabetic) say it's safe for diabetics. I'm not sure how I feel about this as I know with myself (i'm type 1 on insulin) if I eat too many fruits my blood sugar goes high and if I eat mostly veggies is goes too low. And juicing forget it my blood sugar goes up and besides i'd rather eat my food than drink it. It seems with a lot of the raw recipes they sweeten things with agave, honey etc all things that raise blood sugar. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this diet for diabetic being one yourself on the diet or from a cde/dietitian.
    hi,
    Believe that it would be hard to control your blood sugars without a little more protein in the diet....
    Protein from cereals/grains/beans...or milk/cheese/meat...enter the blood slower that sugars....so....your blood sugar levels are more constant.
    Believe that a fruititarian diet would be taste...but not complete nutrition for anyone and for diabetes control very hard is not impossible to control blood sugar within normal/healthy levels... Good Luck....this is a very good question...thanks
    Charlotte S Mehmke, MBA, RD, CDEemoticon
  • claras claras
    Hello Klochak,
    All the macro-nutrients (carbohydrate, fat and protein) are needed in a persons diet. When a person has type 1 diabetes, they take a basal insulin (to keep control of blood sugars with out eating), and a bolus insulin (to manage the carbohydrate in their food). Ask your healthcare team about what your insulin to carb ratio is. With this information, the amount of insulin you take for your bolus will be based on the amounts of carbohydrate you eat for that meal. Please be careful to eat all the macro-nutrients that you need during your day. Ask your dietitian for more guidance in meal planning.
    Clara Schneider MS,RD,RN,CDE,LDN
  • lindsy4775 lindsy4775
    This is a reply to
    I haven't tried it. I wanna try it someday.
  • agha shahid agha shahid
    Hi,
    I came to know few days ago about my blood sugar which is high almost 300 so i would like to have a diet plan for my self so please let me know which food to be avoided and which food to be taken and which medicine to take please advice, thanksemoticon
  • dday dday
    This is a reply to
    Hi,
    I came to know few days ago about my blood sugar which is high almost 300 so i would like to have a diet plan for my self so please let me know which food to be avoided and which food to be taken and which medicine to take please advice, thanksemoticon
    Agha,
    We cannot tell you what medicine to take or what diet to follow. You will have to make an appointment with your doctor and ask for a reference to see a Certified Diabetes Educator.
    You can find information regarding diet that you should discuss with your doctor at http://www.diabetescare.net/management.asp?category=Diet
    Hope this helps.