Community Forums

Introduce Yourself

information to the just diagnosed with diabetes

Started 1/5/2014 by Saru Mangat

• Saru Mangat Saru Mangat ORIGINAL POSTER
    Hello..my mom had been a diabetic n she passed away at the age of 53....in April'13 I got my test done for blood sugar levels (fasting) n the result was 175 ...since then I started with checks at home n from labs....n my blood sugar levels range from 110-150...fasting. ..However my random falls between 140-160...n the 3 months sugar tests twice ranged between 6.3-6.5....I visited 2 endocrinologists. The first suggested that I go for walks n bring my sugar levels down...whereas thw the other recommended a medicine to be taken before dinner ...the name of the medicine is ...Glyciphage SR 500mg...though haven't started yet as am too scared as I feel the medicines affect kidneys. ...pls advice. ...
  • claras claras
    This is a reply to
    Hello..my mom had been a diabetic n she passed away at the age of 53....in April'13 I got my test done for blood sugar levels (fasting) n the result was 175 ...since then I started with checks at home n from labs....n my blood sugar levels range from 110-150...fasting. ..However my random falls between 140-160...n the 3 months sugar tests twice ranged between 6.3-6.5....I visited 2 endocrinologists. The first suggested that I go for walks n bring my sugar levels down...whereas thw the other recommended a medicine to be taken before dinner ...the name of the medicine is ...Glyciphage SR 500mg...though haven't started yet as am too scared as I feel the medicines affect kidneys. ...pls advice. ...
    Hello Saru Mangat,
    I have posted an article on glucophage (Metformin) which you can find at: http://www.diabetescare.net/Blog/Clara_Schneider/C851175B-B36B-4D2B-BD75-C2B90933CACE.
    I would also encourage you to read an article published by Diabetes Care on Metformin and mild to moderate renal insufficiency found at:http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/6/1431.long
    Ask your physician if you have any renal (kidney) problems that would contraindicate this medication.
    I hope this information helps you.
    Clara Schneider MS,RD,RN,CDE,LDN