Community Forums

Introduce Yourself

Vegetables for Diabetes

Started 12/2/2013 by aiyanct

• aiyanct aiyanct ORIGINAL POSTER
    Vegetables like Pumpkin, Potato, Sweet potato, Corn especially sweet corn. And the vegetables which grow under the soil and absorb all the substances that make them rich in sugar. But i am quite confused with fruits.. May i know which fruit should avoid for controlling diabetes.?
  • claras claras
    This is a reply to
    Vegetables like Pumpkin, Potato, Sweet potato, Corn especially sweet corn. And the vegetables which grow under the soil and absorb all the substances that make them rich in sugar. But i am quite confused with fruits.. May i know which fruit should avoid for controlling diabetes.?
    Hello Aiyanct,
    Everyone needs carbohydrates in their diet. People with diabetes should ask their medical team to see a dietitian so a meal plan can be designed for them to include a healthy combination of foods. The meal plan usually has a specific amount of grams of carbohydrate per meal and snack. This helps control blood glucose. When you know how many carbohydrates you should eat at each meal, then you will be more comfortable in using all foods with carbohydrates in them. A meal plan for diabetes will not eliminate fruits or starches. Again, ask for a meal plan with the number of grams of carbohydrate in each meal. With a chart of the amounts of carbohydrates in foods, meal planning will be easier. Please go to http://www.diabetescare.net/content_detail.asp?id=1308 for a chart of the carbohydrates in many fruits.
    Clara Schneider MS,RD,RN,CDE,LDN