Community Forums

Introduce Yourself

Am I type 1 or type 2 ?

Started 9/18/2012 by lupepp

• lupepp lupepp ORIGINAL POSTER
    Hello,
    I was diagnosed as a diabetic 25 years ago when I was 30 years old. As far as I know they had told me that I am type 1.
    I have been on insulin for 25 years but recently GP advised me to also take metformin. He said that I should reduce insulin intake.
    In my country teststrips are only given free to type 1.
    What makes a diabetic type 1/type2?
    Thanks in advance.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    Hello,
    I was diagnosed as a diabetic 25 years ago when I was 30 years old. As far as I know they had told me that I am type 1.
    I have been on insulin for 25 years but recently GP advised me to also take metformin. He said that I should reduce insulin intake.
    In my country teststrips are only given free to type 1.
    What makes a diabetic type 1/type2?
    Thanks in advance.
    The difference between type 1 and 2 is whether the pancreas produces insulin or not. A type 1 needs the insulin shots to live. Theoretically, type 2 has some insulin production that decreases over time, and may at some point need insulin shots. The addition of metformin to your medication routine does not change that fact that you are type 1. The metformin reduces the release of glucose from the liver, which also raise blood glucose in the morning. Can be an issue in either diabetes.
  • lupepp lupepp ORIGINAL POSTER
    Thanks for your reply and info about metformin.
    How would a Doctor determine that there is still some insulin production?
    Does type 1 usually occurs at a young age? Is it possible that a 50 year old who has just been diagnosed with diabetes, is determined a type 1?
    And on the other hand, is it possible that a juvenile is determined type 2?
    Thank you for your patience.
  • claras claras
    This is a reply to
    Thanks for your reply and info about metformin.
    How would a Doctor determine that there is still some insulin production?
    Does type 1 usually occurs at a young age? Is it possible that a 50 year old who has just been diagnosed with diabetes, is determined a type 1?
    And on the other hand, is it possible that a juvenile is determined type 2?
    Thank you for your patience.
    Hello Lupepp,
    Please go to this site for more information on testing for type 1 or type 2 diabetes: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/gad-antibody-test.html.
    Although type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in young people, it can be diagnosed at an older age as well. With type 2 diabetes, my youngest patient was 3 years of age.
    I hope this information helps you,
    Clara Schneider MS,RD,RN,CDE,LDN