Community Forums

Type 1 Community

Type 1 and breastfeeding

Started 12/21/2012 by MKulick

• MKulick MKulick ORIGINAL POSTER
    How does hyperglycemia affect breastmilk? My newborn is fussy after nursing when my blood sugars are running high.
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    I really don't know, but I would assume that maybe the breast milk is sweeter? I will try to find more information!
  • Juliann1984 Juliann1984
    I am a type 1 diabetic and I was able to successfully nurse both of my sons. My milk analysis showed that my milk was significantly more thick and dense when my sugars were elevated for a prolonged period of time, which they said would make it have a much higher caloric content. My children didn't have an issue with it when it was thick, but I would imagine that , if your baby has a more sensitive tummy, then the hypos could be affecting him/her, or it could be your diet that they're having trouble digesting. Either way, the breastmilk is still easier for a baby to digest, than any formula that's out there. You may just want to watch your diet, sugars, and water intake for a couple of days, and see if that smoothes everything out. emoticon
    This is a reply to
    I am a type 1 diabetic and I was able to successfully nurse both of my sons. My milk analysis showed that my milk was significantly more thick and dense when my sugars were elevated for a prolonged period of time, which they said would make it have a much higher caloric content. My children didn't have an issue with it when it was thick, but I would imagine that , if your baby has a more sensitive tummy, then the hypos could be affecting him/her, or it could be your diet that they're having trouble digesting. Either way, the breastmilk is still easier for a baby to digest, than any formula that's out there. You may just want to watch your diet, sugars, and water intake for a couple of days, and see if that smoothes everything out. emoticon
    Ooops, I meant hypers, not hypos. Sorry.
  • MKulick MKulick ORIGINAL POSTER
    Juliann1984 What kind of test did you take to analyze your breast milk?
    It's just called a lactation, or milk analysis. I went through my lactation consultant, but I'm sure lactation-friendly pediatricians can do it too. They come in and do a pumping session with you from initial let down to the hind milk (the hind milk is thicker and has more calories). Then they see what your ratio of watery milk is to the thick stuff on the bottom. My milk was always thicker, but it was really thick when my sugars were up.
    They can also take samples of your milk to send to the lab for a calorie analysis, but it's a little expensive, and not usually necessary unless the baby's having growth issues.