Community Forums

Introduce Yourself

New to Diabetics

Started 12/19/2012 by heidijmz

• heidijmz heidijmz ORIGINAL POSTER
    Hello all
    My name is Heidi and I'm 41 years old. I have recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. I had a kidney transplant a few years ago. I have to lose weight and have no clue what type I am. I don't know to eat when. I read a few articles but it's not very helpful. I feel tired all the time, have pain in my left leg. I have been taking my blood sugar for almost one week. My levels are as follows: Before breakfast 4.9 - 5.1, two hours after meals 5.3-6.9 and before bed 5.9-6.1. I still have to report these levels to my dr to get guidance and perhaps a meal plan. I would be grateful for tips/advice?
    Many Thanks
  • SharonRD SharonRD
    This is a reply to
    Hello all
    My name is Heidi and I'm 41 years old. I have recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. I had a kidney transplant a few years ago. I have to lose weight and have no clue what type I am. I don't know to eat when. I read a few articles but it's not very helpful. I feel tired all the time, have pain in my left leg. I have been taking my blood sugar for almost one week. My levels are as follows: Before breakfast 4.9 - 5.1, two hours after meals 5.3-6.9 and before bed 5.9-6.1. I still have to report these levels to my dr to get guidance and perhaps a meal plan. I would be grateful for tips/advice?
    Many Thanks
    You have Type 2 Diabetes. If you are on anti-rejection drugs and or steroid type medications after your transplant, you are at risk of developing difficulty regulating your blood glucose. Being overweight is also a contributing factor. Good news is that those numbers are not "out of sight" and could be control with weight loss, exercise, and maybe a diabetes pill. Be ready with your questions when you go to the doctor.