Make this for: Lunch
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 4 Serving(s)
A warm and satisfying chicken soup made with low sodium chicken broth, onion, garlic, potatoes, chicken and lots of fresh basil and jarlsberg cheese.
What you'll need
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 med clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cup chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup shredded light jarlsberg cheese
- Step 1
In a two to three-quart pan, combine butter, onion, and garlic. Stir occasionally over medium heat until onion is limp and slightly tinged with brown, about ten minutes. Stir in flour to coatonion. Gradually stir in broth, and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Step 2
Add potato; cover and simmer over low heat until potato is tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes. Add chicken; cover and simmer just until chicken is hot, one to two minutes. Stir in basil. Ladle into bowl and offer cheese to add to taste.
- Starch: 1
- Meats & Meat Substitutes: 2 1/2