Make this for: Lunch
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 10 Serving(s)
A delicious, hearty beef vegetable soup with preparation time simplified by the use of canned stewed tomatoes, onion soup mix and frozen mixed vegetables.
What you'll need
- 1 med beef shank bone with 1 pound meat
- 2 1/2 qt water
- 2 med bay leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. "Lite" salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 oz onion soup mix (1 envelope)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 pkg. frozen mixed vegetables (10 ounces)
- 1 cup peeled, diced, potatoes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- Step 1
Remove any fat from the beef. In a large, covered soup pot, simmer the beef bone with meat in water with bay leaves, celery leaves, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion soup mix until meat is tender, about 2-12 hours.
- Step 2
Remove the bone, meat and bay leaves. Chill broth and remove any fat. Cut meat into bite size pieces and return to broth. Discard bone and bay leaves. Add tomatoes, frozen vegetables, potatoes, and celery. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1
- Meats & Meat Substitutes: 1 1/2