Recipe By: Clara Schneider, MS, RD, RN, CDE, LDN
Make this for: Lunch
This Recipe Makes: 4 Serving(s)
The fat content of this recipe is high but the fats are from olive oil, avocado, and pumpkin seeds which contain healthy fats. This salad is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron.
What you'll need
- 1 bunch(es) kale (about 1 pound), stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, dividied
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries, divided
- 2 tbsp. orange marmalade
- 3 med red or golden beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 med avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced (Hass avocado used in the analysis)
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Step 1
In a large bowl combine kale, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Step 2
With your hands, massage until leaves are dark and tender, about 1 minute. Remove to a serving platter or bowl.
- Step 3
In a blender, combine 1/2 cup of the blueberries, the marmalade, remaining olive oil and remaining lemon juice; blend until smooth.
- Step 4
To the kale add beets, avocado, pumpkin seeds and remaining blueberries; drizzle with dressing, serve immediately.
- Fruit: 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 4
- Fat: 3 1/2
- Carbohydrate: 1/2