Make this for: Snack
This Recipe Makes: 16 Serving(s)
Packed with flavor, these coconut bars lend nutrition in a sweet treat. Maple flavoring, unsweetened coconut, raisins and optional chopped walnuts are the stars of these bars.
What you'll need
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (crust)
- 8 packet(s) sweetener (Equal, Splenda, etc.) (crust)
- 2 1/4 tsp. cornstarch (crust)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (crust)
- 6 tbsp. cold margarine, cut into pieces (crust)
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla (crust)
- 1 tsp. lemon rind (crust)
- 2 med eggs
- 1 cup measurable sweetener
- 1/4 tsp. maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Step 1
Beat eggs, sweetener and maple flavoring in medium bowl; mix in margarine and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; stir into egg mixture. Mix in coconut, walnuts, and raisins. Spread batter evenly in greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Step 2
Cool in pan on wire rack; cut into squares.
- Step 3
Combine flour, sweetener, cornstarch and salt in medium bowl; cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with vanilla and lemon rind; mix with hands to form dough. Press dough evenly on bottom and 1/4-inch up side of 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in preheated 350-degrees oven until lightly browned, about ten minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Step 4
*Unsweetened coconut can be purchased in health food stores. Or, substitute sweetened coconut and decrease amount of sweetener to 3/4-cup. (Recipe makes 16 bars)