Recipe By: Brenda J. Ponichtera, R.D.
Make this for: Lunch
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 5 Serving(s)
Chili lovers will enjoy this thick chili. It is so simple and tasty. Recipe courtesy of Quick & Healthy Volume II, 2nd Edition, Brenda J. Ponichtera, RD, Published by Small Steps Press, a division of the American Diabetes Association.
What you'll need
- 1/2 lb skinless, bonelss chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 can (15 ounces each) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, not drained (Sodium is figured for no added salt)
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. dried cilantro
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Step 1
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Step 2
Brown chicken in a saucepan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Add remaining ingredients.
- Step 3
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. (NOTE: One serving is a good source of fiber.)
- Starch: 1 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1
- Meat/Meat Substitutes: Lean: 2