Recipe By: Ward Alper, The Decadent Diabetic
Make this for: Breakfast
This Recipe Makes: 4 Serving(s)
They say that real men don’t eat quiche. I say real Diabetics should eat crustless Quiche. Made a day ahead and even frozen, this is a great easy dinner, fast lunch and super weekend breakfast.
What you'll need
- 1 med shallot or 3 scallions chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 oz ham, thickly cut and diced
- 3 med eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese (you can substitute another cheese if you like)
- 1 to taste salt and pepper
- 1 small non-stick spray for the pie pan
- 1 cup milk, half and half, or cream (have enough to make 1 1/2 cups when added to the eggs)
- Step 1
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie pan with a non-stick spray.
- Step 2
Saute the shallot or scallions in butter. Add the diced ham and cook until the ham starts to brown. Allow to cool.
- Step 3
Beat the eggs lightly and add the salt and pepper. Add the milk or cream until you have 1 1/2 cups of liquid in total.
- Step 4
Evenly spread the ham mixture on the bottom of the pan. Cover with shredded cheese.
- Step 5
Gently pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese.
- Step 6
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the quiche is browned and puffed.
- Step 7
Allow to cool a little before serving. Can be made a day ahead or even frozen. (You can replace the ham with: bacon, any vegetable, chicken, shrimp or crab, or cooked steak)