Make this for: Dinner
This Recipe Makes: 11 Serving(s)
Chopped, fresh fennel offers the delightful crunch of celery, but with a subtle licorice flavor. To crush fennel seeds, place them on a cutting board, then roll over them with a rolling pin.
What you'll need
- 2 tbsp. butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 lb fennel bulbs (about 3)
- 1 3/4 lb fresh green beans, trimmed if desired
- Step 1
Stir together butter, fennel seeds, lemon peel, pepper, and salt.
- Step 2
Cut off and discard upper stalks of fennel bulbs. Remove any wilted outer layers; cut off a thin slice from the fennel base. Wash fennel; cut into quarters. Remove cores. Cut fennel lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- Step 3
Place beans in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Cook beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water 4 to 5 minutes. Add fennel strips to beans. Cook 6 to 10 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain. Toss fennel and beans in the bowl with the seasoned butter. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 2
- Fat: 1/2