Make this for: Dinner
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 12 Serving(s)
Split peas, carrots, celery, onion and pearl barley in a chicken or vegetable stock flavored with bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste, garlic and fresh dill.
What you'll need
- 2 cup green split peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 med carrots, chopped
- 3 med stalks celery, chopped
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 12 cup water, chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 med bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 med cloves garlic, if desired
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 2 med onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Step 1
In a large soup pot, combine split peas, carrots, celery and 1 onion with water. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley, bay leaf and garlic, if using. Reduce heat and simmer partly covered for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 2
In a nonstick skillet, heat oil. Saute the remaining two onions on medium heat until well-browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add onions to soup along with dill. Simmer soup five to ten minutes longer. Discard bay leaf (and turkey carcass, if using).
- Step 3
Reheats and/or freezes well. If soup gets thick, add a little water or broth.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 3