Make this for: Dinner
Category: Rice, Beans & Potatoes
This Recipe Makes: 6 Serving(s)
A strata (Italian for "layered") is an egg-and-bread casserole. In this recipe, frozen hash browns substitute for the bread.
What you'll need
- 1 can Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cup frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers
- 1 cup cut broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup finely chopped turkey bacon or turkey ham
- 1/3 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 pkg. refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed (8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 container Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Lightly coat a 2-quart square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange hash brown potatoes and broccoli in bottom of baking dish; top with turkey bacon or ham. Set aside.
- Step 2
Stir milk gradually into flour in a medium bowl. Stir in egg product, half of the cheese, the snipped or dried basil, and black pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
- Step 3
Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for five minutes. If desired, garnish with fresh basil sprigs.
- Step 4
Make-ahead Tip: Assemble as above, but do not bake. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Before serving, remove cover and bake as directed above.
- Starch: 1
- Meats & Meat Substitutes: 1/2