Make this for: Dinner
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 6 Serving(s)
Reduced sodium broth with garlic, pepper, kidney beans, lean chicken or beef, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, carrot, celery, onion parsly and of course, Italian seasoning.
What you'll need
- 2 can reduced sodium chicken broth or beef broth (14-1/2 ounces each)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (15 or 19-ounce)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped cooked lean chicken or beef (8 ounces)
- 2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 can no salt added diced tomatoes, not drained (14-1/2 ounce)
- 2 med potatoes, peeled, if desired, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- Step 1
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine broth, cabbage, undrained tomatoes, potatoes, carrot, celery, onion, parsley, Italian seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the beans and beef or chicken. Cook and stir for two to three minutes or until heated through.
- Step 2
Serve immediately or divide among six airtight containers or freezer containers. Store up to three days in the refrigerator or one-month in freezer. Heat to boiling before serving.
- Step 3
Beat egg whites until foamy; stir into soup. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until foamy. Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.
- Step 4
To tote for a hearty and healthy lunch:
Transfer hot soup to a preheated insulated vacuum bottle. (To preheat the bottle, fill with hot tap water. Cover with lid; let stand about five minutes. Pour out water and immediately fill with the hot soup.) If using chilled soup, transfer to a small saucepan. Heat just to boiling, stirring often. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for three minutes. Transfer to preheated bottle.
- Starch: 1 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1
- Meats & Meat Substitutes: 2