Recipe By: Clara Schneider, MS, RD, RN, CDE, LDN
Make this for: Dinner
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 24 Serving(s)
This is a crowd pleasing hearty soup that is made in a large size batch. Leftovers can be frozen in individual serving containers to be part of a soul warming lunch or dinner. This soup has a pureed base with vegetables added for texture. Let the flavors blend over night if possible to bring out the soups best character (keep in the refrigerator). One cup serving is a good source of fiber and a high source vitamin A and vitamin C. People with bigger appetites may enjoy two servings of this wonderful soup for a meal served with a mixed green salad and a serving of fruit or a yogurt frozen treat ......Delicious!
What you'll need
- 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1 lb Leeks (cleared and diced white portion only) (you need to buy approximately 2 pounds of fresh leeks)
- 2 lb diced potatoes (flesh only, equals approximately 6 medium raw potatoes)
- 3 large stalks of celery (cleaned and diced)
- 8 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth (use vegetable broth if vegetarian is needed)
- 3 cup non-fat milk
- 3 cup frozen carrots (sliced)
- 4 cup frozen green beans (French cut gives lots of texture)
- 3 cup frozen corn
- 12 tbsp. of chopped raw chives (1/2 tablespoon per cup)
- 1 dash pepper (per serving)
- Step 1
Measure Canola oil into large cooking pot and turn range onto medium heat. Saute leeks in the oil. Stir frequently until tender (about 15 minutes)
- Step 2
Add potatoes, celery and broth to the pot. cook on medium until the potatoes are soft (about 45 minutes to an hour). Stir occasionally.
- Step 3
Puree potato mixture in a blender in small batches. Be careful as this is a hot mixture!
- Step 4
Return mixture to pot and add milk, carrots, green beans and corn.
- Step 5
Cook on medium/low for another hour. Stir occasionally.
- Step 6
Serve immediately with chives and pepper or refrigerate until the next day to meld all flavors. Serve with chives and pepper.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1
- Carbohydrate: 1