Make this for: Breakfast
This Recipe Makes: 4 Serving(s)
The eggs in this recipe are just the egg whites baked with zucchini, onion, sweet pepper and mozzarella seasoned with fresh basil. Chopped tomato optional. (NOTE: tomatoes not in analysis)
What you'll need
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 6 med egg whites
- 1 med egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tbsp. shredded fresh basil
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 med chopped tomato (optional)
- Step 1
In a medium skillet cook zucchini, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender. Set aside.
- Step 2
In a medium bowl stir together the egg whites, egg, milk, and basil. Stir in zucchini mixture. Pour into four individual quiche dishes or shallow casseroles, about 4-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Step 3
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese. Let stand for five minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chopped tomato.
- Step 4
Garlic Storage Tip:
Keep garlic on hand for adding a boost of flavor to many recipes - without adding fat or calories. Store fresh garlic in a cool, dry, dark place. Leave the bulb whole, as individual cloves dry out quickly. Minced garlic is available in easy-to-use jars and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Milk: Fat-Free, Low-Fat: 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1/2
- Meat/Meat Substitutes: Lean: 1