Make this for: Lunch
This Recipe Makes: 4 Serving(s)
If you like spicy food, sprinkle cayenne pepper on the chicken strips before baking. The highly seasoned lime vinaigrette dressing is also terrific over grilled fish.
What you'll need
- 1 pkg. boneless chicken breast (about 12 oz)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 med low carb tortilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 med red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned black beans drained, rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 cup mixed greens (about 5 oz.)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 med avocado
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 small tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil (dressing)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (dressing)
- 1 tsp. grated lime peel (dressing)
- 1 small garlic clove pressed (dressing)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (dressing)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin (dressing)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (dressing)
- Step 1
For Salad: Prepare a medium grill or preheat broiler. Brush grill with oil. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Grill 15 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once halfway through cooking time. (Chicken may be made up to 1 day ahead. Cool before wrapping and refrigerating) Let chicken cool to room temperature, then thinly slice on the diagonal.
- Step 2
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush tortilla with olive oil and cut into thirds. Stack thirds and slice into 1/3-inch strips. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake 10 minutes, until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Step 3
In a large bowl toss red pepper, black beans, onion, greens, cilantro and cooled tortilla strips until evenly mixed.
- Step 4
For Dressing: Whisk olive oil, lime juice, grated lime peel, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Step 5
To assemble salad: Toss greens mixture with dressing until evenly coated. Cut avocado into thin slices and toss with lime juice. For each portion, place one-quarter of the greens mixture on each of the four plates. Top with one-quarter of the chicken slices, one-quarter of the chopped tomato and one-quarter of the avocado slices. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
- Starch: 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1
- Fat: 4