Recipe By: Clara Schneider, MS, RD, RN, CDE, LDN
Make this for: Lunch
This Recipe Makes: 6 Serving(s)
This dish is very nutritious and very pretty to serve to guests. For vegetarians it can be served as the main dish or for meat eaters, broiled fish or grilled chicken make an excellent addition. Serve with whole grain bread and a fruit salad and enjoy!
What you'll need
- 1 lb eggplant cleaned with stem removed. Sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (no need to remove skin)
- 1/2 lb zucchini cleaned and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms sliced in bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp. of canola oil
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 small cloves garlic
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (more depending on taste)
- 1 to taste black pepper (optional)
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup zero calorie Greek yogurt
- Step 1
Heat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit
- Step 2
Coat large roasting pan with one tablespoon canola oil.
- Step 3
Place egg plant, zucchini and mushrooms on pan in a single layer and roast in oven until browned. Turn eggplant and zucchini over 1/2 way through roasting and stir mushrooms. Take vegetables out of the oven when roasted.
- Step 4
While roasting the vegetables, in a medium size pot, saute onions. Add crushed tomatotes and spices and simmer. Add roasted zucchini and mushrooms to this sauce. Heat until simmering again.
- Step 5
Microwave or cook spinach according to package directions (do not add salt to cooking).
- Step 6
To Plate the Dish: Drain hot spinach thoroughly in colander. Press the spinach in the colander with a spoon to get water out. Place spinach on a serving platter. Cover the spinach with sauce leaving 1-2 inches of spinach on 2 sides showing. Add yogurt to the top of the mixture to garnish. Serve immediately.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 3 1/2
- Fat: 1