Recipe By: Clara Schneider, MS, RD, RN, CDE, LDN
Make this for: Lunch
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 8 Serving(s)
You can substitute bulgar, a crunchy, nutty wheat grain, for the rice in this recipe. However, bulgur is not gluten free. (NOTE: Silken firm tofu used)
What you'll need
- 6 cup low-sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 6 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 2 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp. mint
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. chili oil or hot pepper sauce
- 2 med lemons with juice squeezed out (keep the juice)
- 16 oz firm tofu
- 4 cup cooked sticky white rice
- Step 1
Pour the broth into a large saucepan and heat on medium.
- Step 2
Mince the sprouts, scallions, cilantro, mint, and basil. In a bowl, toss them well with the chili oil and set aside to let the flavors mingle.
- Step 3
Juice the lemons and cut the tofu into 1" cubes.
- Step 4
Stir the lemon juice and tofu into the hot broth.
- Step 5
Place 1 cup of rice in the bottom of each serving bowl. Spoon the sprout and herb mixture on top of the rice and ladle the broth over the top.
- Starch: 1 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 1
- Meat/Meat Substitutes: Very Lean: 1