Make this for: Dinner
This Recipe Makes: 6 Serving(s)
While tuna is most commonly used in this tasty pie, you can also choose salmon in place of the tuna for an omega-3 packed dish. Greatly reduced in fat, not flavor!
What you'll need
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. margarine
- 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 can water-packed tuna or salmon, drained and flaked (6-1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 slice reduced-fat Swiss or reduced-fat Colby cheese (4 ounce)
- Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Prepare a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick spray.
- Step 2
Combine the rice, 1-cup water, and the salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 14 minutes. Separate the rice grains with a fork.
- Step 3
Beat one egg in a small bowl. Stir the margarine and beaten egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute) into the rice mixture.
- Step 4
Press the rice against the sides and bottom of the pie pan to make a crust. Spread the tuna or salmon evenly over the rice.
- Step 5
In a saucepan, heat the milk and peas to a simmer. Add the parsley, pepper, and nutmeg. Beat the remaining egg and stir it into the milk mixture. Pour over the tuna.
- Step 6
Layer slices of cheese over the top. Bake for about 25 minutes. Cut the pie in six equal wedges. *Note: You can replace salmon, drained and flaked, for the tuna, if desired.
- Starch: 1
- Meats & Meat Substitutes: 2