Recipe By: Clara Schneider, MS, RD, RN, CDE, LDN
Make this for: Dinner
Category: Soups & Stews
This Recipe Makes: 24 Serving(s)
This chili is easy to make ahead and very healthy. Watch out when you have a crowd as it will disappear fast. Two servings are commonly used for a dinner and served with a salad and a piece of crusty bread. It can be frozen in single serving size containers. One serving makes an excellent lunch for those watching their calories served with a piece of fruit and a low calorie yogurt. You might find yourself making this recipe again and again!
What you'll need
- 1 1/3 lb ground turkey made from breast meat
- 2 med onions (diced)
- 3 large carrots (cleaned and cut into small circles)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (rinsed)
- 3 large stalks of celery (cleaned and diced)
- 2 med green peppers (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (no added salt)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cup sweet corn kernels frozen
- 4 1/2 cup black beans (prepared from starch, optional is to use canned beans but sodium value per cup will be higher)
- 3 tbsp. chili powder (more if desired)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin (Optional Ingredients: Shredded low fat cheese, zero fat yogurt or sour cream, slcied Jalapeno peppers, hot sauce)
- Step 1
In a large frying pan cook the first 6 ingredients until the pink is gone from the turkey and the vegetables start to soften. Stir frequently.
- Step 2
Add garlic and cook additional 5 minutes (Stirring occasionally)
- Step 3
Transfer to a large crock pot.
- Step 4
Add the next 7 ingredients.
- Step 5
Stir all ingredients and set crock pot on high until the mixture starts to simmer.
- Step 6
Stir and set crock pot on low for 4-8 hours.
- Step 7
Serve with optional condiments.
- Starch: 1/2
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: 2
- Meat/Meat Substitutes: Very Lean: 1/2